Clarity without compassion leads to a gospel without redemption!

Watch this video…I’d love to hear from you…

Why does the church speak with so much hatred towards the gay community?  Why does the church need to be clear on the Biblical definition of marriage?  Do you agree that the best way to protect marriage is not signing petitions but having a great marriage?

Comment With Facebook

15 comments so far on “What Does The Bible Say About Same Sex Marriage?

1. gary modine says:

Thank you Troy!

“If we speak to the issue without a tear in the eye…we lose credibility.”

2. moedimgirl says:

AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN.
    I couldn’t agree more.
    My heart grieves daily.
    May we all know the compassion of our Master,
    and show it to others.

3. Craig says:

I do not follow your premise, other than Westboro Baptist, what church are you referring to who spews hatred toward gays?

4. Ben says:

This was a clear political speech that attempted to skirt around the issue and effectively avoided answering the question at hand. Anyone with a Bible knows the opinion of the Bible on the subject of homosexuality; therefore, fundamentally this is the wrong question to ask.

The real question is: Should there be separation of church and state? We live in a society that verbally expresses the necessity of church/state separation and freedom of religion; however, the laws of the United States clearly contradict this (especially the laws concerning homosexuality, prostitution, gambling and drugs). “Sumptuary laws have no place in a truly free society”~Alan Watts

• troyhjones says:

No doubt there are many other questions around this issue..but your statement “anyone with a Bible knows the opinion of the Bible on the subject of homosexuality” is making a lot of assumptions…

Your assuming people have a Bible, you are assuming people read the Bible they may have, you are assuming people see the Bible as the final authority and so much more. The real question for me is “what does the Bible say about homosexuality?” And then communicate this with with clarity and compassion.

This job of the pastor is NOT be be political but to clearly preach the Bible. This is not a political issue for me..it is a Bible issue. If churches would preach the Bible with clarity AND compassion our culture would be transformed.

• Jennifer says:

When we focus on creating godly marriages that are truly admiration worthy we cannot lose. God has equipped and empowered some people to have governmental influence, some have influence in media, others in education, public health, and so on. Hopefully we can preserve the idea in society that marriage in one man, one woman, for life. If we do not, I have some good news! The church has been called the family of God for ages. If they want to redefine family… we can do it better that they can. We will steal their mindset and turn it around for the glory of God. If family is a loving group of individuals who support each other through life, we got it covered! No matter how we define family in society, let’s do it better. All for the glory of Christ and His kingdom.

• Ben says:

Good points, I appreciate your attempt to try not to be political; and unfortunately it is an extremely political issue. And you are absolutely right concerning my assumptions that people actually read the Bible. Most people with a Bible don’t read it, and even the ones who do read it often don’t believe it (like myself). This is exactly why preachers try to encourage people to “have more faith,” because most people don’t really believe in a paternal authoritarian beneficent tyrant.

• Sally says:

You don’t want to be political. However the reality uses you for politics. Please read the Renton Reporter Nov 2 issue. http://www.rentonreporter.com/green_editions/?iid=i20121031183534865 They did not quot your “One man, One woman, forever”, but “The churches have been very judgmental and hateful toward homosexuals”. When I read it, it appears that you supported same sex marriage. Do you think as a church we need to make it clear in this case.

5. Illustrations showing contemporary churches speaking out against gays would have been great, rather than relying upon our common assumption that this is actually true. Biblical support for or against the issue would have been great, too.

I feel like the sermon’s objective and illustrations could have been a bit tighter. If creating compassion for others was the goal, why play favorites with sin?

6. Carleena says:

Are you questioning God’s word? I went to church the sunday this sermon was spoken, and I left there disappointed. This was suppose to be 41 weeks of learning about the word of God. So how did it get from God’s word to your opinion and the opinion of the people. I can see now why I was turned away when I asked if I could bring in petitions for people to sign. One of your staff members told me no, point blank. He said that New Life Church doesnt want to turn away new members. Scared of loosing members or of scared of God. Kind of like one foot in and one foot out, and you know what God says about that in His word. Don’t you???

7. troyhjones says:

Carleena–I am very clear on the Biblical teaching of Genesis 2 on the marriage covenant. No question about the Word of God at all….

8. John Hailes says:

A lot of wisdom spoken there! You spoke with love & compassion.
    It never ceases to amaze me how many Christians first response is one of judgement and condemnation as opposed to unconditional love.

I’m from Mattersey in England. Its a massive issue here & the Church don’t deal with it well. I’m not suggesting we compromise on truth; but we must not get to a place where homosexuals think Christians hate them.

Someone once told me; don’t care about what a Church thinks of themselves; but care about what the surrounding community think of a Church! Too often we think we are loving; yet the secular world just aren’t feeling it!

9. John Hailes says:

A lot of wisdom spoken there! You spoke with love & compassion.

10. Dr. Dwaine Braddy says:

So often people ask, what would Jesus say to those who are living a gay lifestyle, and by that, desiring to be married. We can’t answer that question specifically because, Jesus never was confronted with this issue, as far as the Gospels tell us. However, I believe He would have supported what the Torah says about it, that it is sin. Having said that, I believe He would have addressed it as He did with the woman caught in the act of adultery in John 8. To the accusing, self-righgteous crowd He said, “If anyone of you is without sin, let him [her] throw the first stone”. To a person living a gay lifestyle, I believe He would say, “Neither do I condemn you [showing compassion and forgiveness]. Go now and leave your life of sin [showing His respect for and the teacing of the Torah on the subject]“

11. Phil says:

I have heard many great things about this church. However, after reading this discussion thread, I do not feel Christ’s teachings, which is LOVE.

Pastor, one simple question, please do not contradict it:

God is Love. So, does your church allows gay people to join your congregation?

This is a close-ended question -yes or no.

Thank you.